top of page

My Birth Story | Grant Watson McKinley | 6.2.18

This pregnancy has been one to remember! From his father (my separated husband) and his family saying I was faking the pregnancy, to the baby being born almost a month early, I can honestly say that God as blessed me tremendously for all I have gone through.

Health wise, this pregnancy was a breeze. Unlike with my daughter Kamea, I had absolutely NO morning sickness with baby Grant. When I was pregnant with Kamea, I was nauseated and threw up everyday for 5 months. I went to the doctor and was prescribed medication but it did not help at all. With this pregnancy, I never experienced any morning sickness. I don't know if the sex of the baby has anything to do with it, but carrying a boy was the complete opposite to carrying a girl for me.

Fast forward to the day I went into labor. The day was June 1, 2018. This was a Friday. I get up, and go to work like any other day. I wasn't expecting my son to come until close to his due date of June 18, 2018. So I'm at work, I text my sister and tell her happy birthday, and start my work at my desk. Around 10 or 11am, I go to the bathroom and I notice that I am losing my mucus plug. I'm like, "Okay, the baby should be coming within the next week or so", because I looked online and saw that after you lose your mucus plug, it could be hours or weeks before you deliver. I tell my coworker Robbe whose desk is near mine, and she starts getting excited.

Around noon, I start feeling these weird feelings. I thought they could possibly be contractions, but I was not sure because I was induced with my daughter and never experienced true labor with contractions and the whole nine. This feeling of my stomach tightening continues to happen every 15-20 minutes or so. It was never painful, just a weird feeling. I have a high tolerance for pain, so I really did not feel any pain. Come to find out, I was having contractions at work. It was uncomfortable to get up from my desk and walk around the office, but I got through it.

I go home at 5, and the feeling continues, but I tune it out because I have been feeling the contractions all day and had no idea they were really contractions. Around 8 they started coming closer and closer together and began to get a little painful. I was talking on the phone to my sister and told her that I thought I could be in labor but I was unsure. She does nothing but laugh! My mom was at my house and I tell her about it and she said, "If you are in labor you will know it."

Around 9:30 pm, I was talking on the phone to my cousin Will, and midway through our conversation, he asks when the baby is coming. I tell him, I think he is coming now! We continue to talk, and I had to get off the phone because the contractions were starting to feel like contractions at this point. I tell my mom, "Okay, I think I need to go to the hospital, but I'm not sure." She tells me to call my doctor. I call her, and tell them how I'm feeling and they tell me to head to the hospital.

On the way to the hospital, the contractions continue and they are coming consistently timed at 8 minutes apart. They start to become more painful with each one. I wouldn't describe it as "pain", was pain, but it just felt like someone squeezing the inside of my stomach. We get to the hospital, the nurse checks me, and I was 5 cm dilated and DEFINITELY in active labor. They check me in and move me to a delivery room. The time was now around 11 pm. The contractions were then coming around 4-5 minutes apart and were now becoming PAINFUL. All I could do was breathe through it and wait for the contraction to pass.

About an hour after I get to the delivery room, I get the epidural and it was a breeze after that. I try my best to get comfortable and go to sleep. I doze off every now and then and eventually tell my estranged husband that I am in labor. Around 8:30 am, I wake up to my doctor in the room who came to check me. She checks me and I am 7 cm dilated. She tells the nurses to break my water. The nurses break my water and 30 minutes later they are telling me to push.

I push for about 15 minutes, and at 9:17 am, by beautiful son came into the world. They put him on my chest and tears flow down my face. Just looking at him was a blessing. I thanked God to myself for allowing him to make it into this world safely. I find out later that the umbilical cord was wrapped around his neck, but it did not cause any damage. He was born weighing 7 lbs 15 oz and 21 inches long. After cleaning him up, they give him to me so he can latch on to my breast since I was planning to breastfeed.

He latches on and to my knowledge, everything is all good, until we get ready to go home. We go home Monday morning, but he had to be readmitted to the NICU the next day where he stayed for 9 days. I will go into detail on that in another blog post. For now, meet baby Grant Watson. He is 4 weeks old today, and better than ever!

336 views0 comments


bottom of page